Becoming a traveling physician or medical professional can be very rewarding. It offers the opportunity to help people in different countries, to experience different cultures and learn about different environments, to travel, and to earn extra money. Professionals who decide to become traveling doctors are often either newly qualified practitioners who want to help out struggling countries or experienced professionals who need a change of pace. The steps to becoming a traveling physician include:
1. Study and qualify as a doctor. Complete your medical degree and specialize in a specific area. Specialization may open more opportunities as a traveling physician so complete your residency and learn from the best. If you can perform general healthcare procedures and add a specialized field, you will find it easier to find a traveling physician job.
2. Pass your board exams and get certified. To become a doctor, you need to complete several exams to get certified and registered. If you are working on a sub-specialty, you may need to complete further board exams. Once this is completed, you are ready to start looking for a job.
3. Research recruiting firms and employment options. Locum tenens or traveling physician recruiting companies can help your search for employment. Choose a company that has a good reputation and will be best able to place you where you want to go. Ensure that these companies know about any specialties or special skills you have as this will help them to accurately place you. Also, look at job opportunities online.
4. Accept employment opportunities. Once you have found the job you are looking for, accept it and complete the necessary paperwork. Make sure that you know exactly where you’re going and what your job will entail.
5. Prepare for your journey. Traveling doctors tend to work in distant areas that are far from technology and civilization. Make sure that you get the necessary vaccinations, clothing, and medical kits for where you are going. Also, apply for the necessary visas and other legal documentation allowing you to practice outside of your home country.
By the end of this process, you should be ready to take on your new adventure as a traveling doctor. The process may take several years to complete, but we are sure that it is all worth it.